Unlock Aadhaar Biometric Data: The introduction of Aadhar has helped individuals to use it as a credible government document as it acts as a valid identification proof as well as proof of address.
But, recently, the security of Aadhar has come under scrutiny which has prompted the UIDAI to take necessary steps to safeguard the data and hence the option to lock or unlock the Aadhaar biometric data online was introduced.
This feature will help the users to protect their biometric details from being misused by fraudsters.
Steps to Locking and Unlocking Aadhar Biometric Data Online:
Aadhaar is a crucial unique identification number, and many people use their Aadhaar card as confirmation of identity and/or address. Because your Aadhaar contains sensitive information, it is critical to keep it secure.
Individuals must supply their eye and fingerprint scan data to the government while applying for an Aadhaar card. This biometric information can be used to verify identity when using other services.
Steps to Locking Aadhaar Biometric Data Online:
Individuals can avoid their Aadhaar card being mishandled by simply locking their biometric data that is stored on the UIDAI servers.
The data can be unlocked whenever required and used for verification before you lock it again. Following is a simple guide to locking your biometric data online:
- Step 1: Visit the UIDAI website and click on ‘Aadhaar Lock and Unlock Service’ under ‘My Aadhaar’ and ‘Aadhaar Services’
- Step 2:Select ‘Lock UID’ to Lock your biometric data
- Step 3: Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar Number that appears on your card.
- Step 4: Enter your Full Name.
- Step 5: Enter your Pincode
- Step 6:Enter the Security Code i.e. captcha as shown on the page
- Step 7: Click on ‘Send OTP’ or ‘Enter OTP”
- Step 8: The OTP will be sent through an SMS to the registered mobile phone number, and the OTP must be entered on the same page.
- Step 9:Verify the OTP.
- Step 10: Upon verification, you will receive a message on your screen that reads ‘Your Aadhaar number is successfully locked. Use VID for authentication.’
Steps To Unlock Aadhaar Biometric Data Online:
To unlock your Aadhaar biometric data online, follow the simple steps that are mentioned below:
- Step 1:Visit the UIDAI website and click on ‘Aadhaar Lock and Unlock Service’ under ‘My Aadhaar’ and ‘Aadhaar Services’
- Step 2: Enter Aadhaar number (12 digit) or Virtual ID number (16 digit)
- Step 3: Enter Captcha for verification
- Step 4: Click on ‘Send OTP’
- Step 5:Enter OTP and click on ‘Submit’
Please note that you will need to create a Virtual ID to Lock and/or Unlock biometric data.
The procedure to create a virtual ID is given below:
- Step 1:Visit the UIDAI website and click on ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator’ under ‘My Aadhaar’ and ‘Aadhaar Services’
- Step 2: Enter 12 digit Aadhaar number
- Step 3: Enter captcha
- Step 4: Click on ‘Send OTP’
- Step 5: Enter ‘OTP’ and click on ‘Submit’
The 16 digit virtual ID will be sent as a text message to your registered mobile number. VID is a random 16 digit temporary, revocable number mapped with the Aadhaar number.
It can be used instead of an Aadhaar number for e-KYC and authentication. The process of authenticating with VID is similar to the process of authenticating with an Aadhaar number.
However, your Aadhaar number cannot be derived from the VID.