On Monday morning, a male leopard was killed after getting electrocuted on an electrical pole in Nizamabad district of Telangana. The animal is reported to be around four years old and the reason for him climbing the pole near Thanakalan forest has not been ascertained as yet.
According to District Forest Officer, VSNV Prasad, a farmer alerted authorities after seeing the animal’s lifeless body caught up in the wires. The officer also said that upon conducting an autopsy, doctors from the local veterinary hospital ruled out the possibility of poaching, and said the cause of death was from electrocution due to high tension wires as the leopard’s teeth, claws and hide were highly intact.
As per media reports, the tiger is likely to have climbed the electrical pole, that is structurally similar to any tall tree despite the lack of trees in the vicinity. Locals say that leopards have been sighted in nearby villages in search of prey like cattle and sheep.