NR Narayana Murthy is one of the most renowned Indian businessmen. He is the founder of Infosys, Murthy is often credited with the IT boom in the country.
He founded the global software consulting company, Infosys in 1981 and continued to serve as its CEO till 2002. After that, he served as the chairman of the company until 2011.
On his birthday today here’s looking at lesser-known facts about the ‘Father of Indian IT Sector’:
- Narayan Murthy is responsible for the ideation designing and implementation of the Global Delivery Model which became the basis of IT services outsourcing from India.
- Infosys became the second-largest Indian Company to provide IT services under his leadership.
- The IT Company has a strong clientele of 1,045 members spread across 50 different countries.
- Because of his contribution in bringing IT businesses to India, he is regarded as Father of Indian IT Sector.
- In 2012, he was mentioned in Fortune’s list of “12 greatest entrepreneurs of our time”
- He was ranked among the top 10 of the Financial Times’ list of “Business pioneers in technology” which was published in 2015
- He was also ranked 13th in CNBC list of ’25 global business leaders who have made the maximum impact on society during the last 25 years’
- Murthy has been awarded the Legion d’honneur by the Government of France, the CBE by the British government and the Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.