National Science Day 2020: National Science Day is observed every year in India on February 28 to mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian scientist Sir C V Raman on February 28, 1928. Sir C.V. Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
What is the Raman effect?
The Raman effect is the change in wavelength of light when a beam is deflected by molecules. The day it was discovered is now celebrated as National Science Day which focuses on discoveries and developments.
Theme of National Science Day 2020:
The theme for this year’s National Science Day is ‘Women in Science’. The event of the National Science Day will be held at the Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi. Moreover, President Ram Nath will attend the event.
National Science Day 2020: Quotes
- Science is nothing but perception – Plato
- The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it – Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Science is not only a disciple of reason but also one of romance and passion – Stephen Hawking
- Science and everyday life cannot and should not be separated – Rosalind Franklin
- Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less – Marie Curie
- The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom ― Isaac Asimov
- Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality – Carl Sagan
Significance of National Science Day:
National Science Day is being celebrated to widely spread a message about the vital role of science used in the daily life of the people and to also display all the activities, efforts and achievements in the field of science for human welfare.
To discuss all the issues and implement new technologies for development in the field of science.