Former Prime Minister, senior Congress leader and famous economist Dr. Manmohan Singh is celebrating his 87th birthday today.
Manmohan Singh is considered the father of a liberal economy in India. Born in the Punjab of undivided India, Manmohan Singh was the Prime Minister of the country for two consecutive terms from 2004 to 2014. Currently, Singh is a Rajya Sabha member from Rajasthan.
On Manmohan Singh 87th birthday, here are lesser-known facts about the former Prime Minister
- Manmohan Singh was born on September 26, 1932, in Gah, Chakwal district, Punjab, undivided India. His family migrated to India after partition.
- He did his studies from Hindu College, Amritsar and graduated from Punjab University and MA after completing his MA and went to Cambridge University, London for higher education.
- After completing his studies, Manmohan Singh worked in the Ministry of Commerce as an Economic Advisor in 1971. In 1972, he worked as the Chief Advisor in the Ministry of Finance.
- Manmohan Singh has held the post of Chairman of University Grants Commission, Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission and later Governor of Reserve Bank.
- Singh served as the Finance Minister of India from 1991-1996. Manmohan Singh adopted the policy of open trade to rid the country of the economic crisis. The economic progress that India has achieved today was behind the big role of economic reforms.
- Manmohan Singh was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1991. Singh was also the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha from 1998 to 2004. Manmohan Singh was the Prime Minister of the country from 2004 to 2014.
- Manmohan Singh was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1987, the Asia Money Award in 1993, the Euro Money Award in 1994, the Jawaharlal Nehru Award of the Indian Science Congress in 1995 and the Adam Smith Award in 1996.