July 4 marks the death anniversary of the man who taught us to believe in our inner self; the man who clearly understood the power of youth; the man who is an inspiration to millions of people all around the globe; the man whose words are still as relevant as it was then — Swami Vivekananda.
Vivekananda undoubtedly is the greatest source of success, pride and inspiration. He gave us unconditional love, reinforced the value of giving back and taught us how to turn into a better self. And today, it’s the time to remember him with some admiration.
January 12 is celebrated as National Youth Day or Yuva Diwas as Vivekananda always believed in the power of youth. He had a belief that the youth can front and enrich the historical culture and can solve all the problems that the country was facing. And his views hold the same relevance even today.
Born on January 12, 1863, Vivekananda was an Indian Hindu monk. A chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Ramakrishna, he brought changes at a time when people were reluctant towards anything except what was acceptable in the society. Vivekananda offered a message of a collective spirituality and the harmony of world religions.
A great speaker, Swami Vivekananda introduced Hinduism in a speech at the Parliament of the World’s Religions in Chicago in 1893.
A key figure in the revival of Hinduism, Vivekananda enormously contributed to the idea of nationalism in colonial India. He also played a center role in the introduction of Vedanta and Yoga to the Western world.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi admires the saint and is a great follower of Vivekananda. Let us shed light on some of his inspirational quotes on this very special day:
- Three Golden Rules:
- Who is helping you, don’t forget them
- Who is loving you, don’t hate them
- Who is believing you, don’t cheat them
- Anything that makes you weak physically, intellectually and spiritually, reject as poison
- Talk to yourself at least once in a day. Otherwise you may miss a meeting with an EXCELLENT person in this world
- Relationships are more important than life, but it is important for those relationships to have life in them
- Like me or hate me, both are in my favor, if you like me, I am in your heart, if you hate me, I am in your mind
- Fill the brain with high thoughts, highest ideals, place them day and night before you and out of that will come great work
- We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far
- You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself
- The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong
- All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark
- When an idea exclusively occupies the mind, it is transformed into an actual physical or mental state
- Arise! Awake! And stop not until the goal is reached
- Take risks in your life, if you win, you can lead. If you lose, you can guide
- Cowards only sin, brave men never, no, not even in mind
- Do not wait for anybody or anything. Do whatever you can. Build your hope on none