The much awaited Reliance Jio is here to offer you some unbelievable plans. Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani on Thursday formally announced the start of Reliance Jio services across India.
Ambani announced free voice calling within the country, zero roaming charges and cheaper data tariffs for Jio customers. Shares of telecom firms crashed after Mukesh Ambani announcement. Ambani also announced a ‘free welcome offer’ for Jio customers from September 5 till December 31. Ambani said his goal was to acquire 100 million customers as soon as possible.
Ambani announced that voice calls will never be charged on the Jio service. The data rates are also cheapest in the world, he said, announcing tariffs starting Rs 50 per GB or 5 paise per MB.
Dedicates Jio services to India, Ambani said that Jio is aimed at realising Digital India dream of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He insisted the need of being digital or else we will become irrelevant. “Life is going digital… I believe in next 20 years we will collectively achieve much more that before”
Ambani called Jio a commitment rather than a business and said it will enrich life of every Indian. As data demand is exploding in India Jio’s mission will be to meet this exceeding demand.
Ambani listed network, devices, content, services, Tariffs as five pillars of Jio service. He called Jio a data strong network, built for the Internet from the ground up. He also announced new LYF devices with prices starting at Rs 2,999 and going up to Rs 5,999.
Here some of the highlights of the new service:
- Under its welcome offer, all Jio services including voice, apps, and 4G LTE data would be available free of cost
- Jio TV will offer access to 300 plus channels. Jio Cinema will have a library of 6000 movies and 1,00,000 episodes of TV shows. Jio music as 10 million songs. Apps will be free for all users till December 2017
- Instant eKYC digital activations using Aadhaar at home as well as in the stores.
- Students will get 25% more data on producing a valid student identity card
- A peak download speed of upto 135 MBPS on the Jio network
- All services will be free for users from 5 September to 31 December.