World Kindness Day is observed on November 13 annually. The day reminds everyone of the goodness that surrounds us, with a focus on the power of positivity. Kindness has no language, but still reaches every human being across race, religion, politics, location, and gender.
It is observed in many countries, including Japan, Canada, Nigeria, Australia, and the United Arab Emirates.
World Kindness Day was first celebrated in 1998 by The World Kindness Movement. This is an organisation formed at a 1997 Tokyo conference by like-minded kindness organisations from around the world. In 2019, the organization was registered as an official NGO under Swiss law.
“To highlight good deeds in the community focusing on the positive power and the common thread of kindness that binds us,” is the main purpose of the World Kindness Movement.
On the occasion of World Kindness Day 2020, here are some inspiring kindness quotes you can share on social media:
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” —Aesop
- “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” —Mark Twain
- “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” —William Arthur Ward
- “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” —Princess Diana
- “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” —Dalai Lama
- “The best portion of a good man’s life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.” —William Wordsworth
- “No one is born hating another person…People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” —Nelson Mandela
- “Kindness and politeness are not overrated at all. They’re underused.” —Tommy Lee Jones
- “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” —Stephen Grellet