World liver day is celebrated on April 19 on account of spreading awareness about conditions that are related to the liver and for ensuring liver health. Each day the liver secretes about 800-1,000 ml of bile, which contains salts needed for digestion of fats, and removes wastes and toxic matter from the blood. If the liver is damaged, it must be treated on time; a delay can cause Liver Cirrhosis and Liver Cancer.
According to WHO, around 10 lakh Indians are diagnosed with liver Cirrhosis every year. As India battles a liver disease surge, adopting Naturopathy practices in daily life can go a long way in helping our population maintain a healthy and toxin-free liver.
Everything you need to know about liver health:
- Liver ailments are among the 10 leading causes of death in India, with fatty liver disease emerging as a rising cause of liver damage.
- Jaundice, sudden weight loss, a decrease in appetite, nausea, and vomiting, general weakness and/or fatigue, pain in the upper-right abdomen or abdomen swelling.
- Coffee is one of the best beverages you can drink to promote liver health. Studies have shown that drinking coffee protects the liver from disease, even in those who already have problems with this organ.
- French fries and burgers are a poor choice to keep your liver healthy. Eat too many foods that are high in saturated fat and it can make it harder for your liver to do its job.
- Too much of the sweet stuff can take a toll on your liver. That’s because part of its job is to convert sugar into fat. If you overdo it, your liver makes too much fat, which ends up hanging around where it doesn’t belong.
- Avoid contact with the infected blood or any other body fluid as this can result in spreading the hepatitis virus.
- Avoid sharing razors, razor blades, toothbrushes, etc.