In an update, Police chief constable of the city Ian Hopkins said that the bomber of the tragic blast that happened in Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester died in the blast.
At least 22 people were killed in a suspected blast at the end of a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in Manchester in northwest England. The incident is being seen as a terrorist attack, said police. A number of ambulances were seen rushing to the spot and bomb disposal squads were dispatched quickly.
“So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise,” police said in a statement.
Reportedly, a suicide bomber had detonated a nail-filled explosive device. The blast took place shortly after 2145 GMT on Monday.
“We heard the last song go and then suddenly there was a massive flash and then a bang and smoke,” Gary Walker from Leeds who was with his wife waiting for their daughters to come out told BBC Radio 5 Live. While Walker was hit by shrapnel in his foot his wife endured a stomach wound.
Isabel Hodgins, who had been attending the concert, told Sky News, “Everybody was panicking, there was pushing up the stairs. The corridor was full, it smelled of burning, there was quite a lot of smoke as we were leaving. It’s just shocking and we just feel very shaken up. We’re just lucky to have gotten away safely.”
Some media outlets reported that there had been two blasts from within the 21,000 capacity venue. Train services to and from Manchester Victoria Station falling under the Arena had been canceled. “Disruption is expected to continue until the end of the day,” National Rail said in a statement.
The incident triggered transport chaos with traffic jams outside the spot.