The central government on Friday opposed in the Apex Court petitions that challenged the Centre’s decision to restrict the deposit of demonetised currency till December 30, 2016. However, it is to be noted that the Prime Minister had earlier said that old notes could be deposited till March 31, 2017. Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi told a bench led by Chief Justice of India J S Khehar that the government and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) stood by its decision and that no relaxation could be provided to anyone for depositing old notes.
The petitioners attached copies of the PM’s address and a press release issued by the RBI on November 8 last stating that those who failed to deposit the old currency notes in banks by December 30 could do so at designated counters until March 31.
“Let me tell you that possession of the old notes is, in fact, illegal now. The petitioners cannot hold the old notes,” said the AG when the counsel for the petitioners. The matter was adjourned to March 21 for a detailed hearing even as it observed: “We did not intend to do anything (when the government was given three days to respond)… the intention was to make you alive to the situation.”