Over 67 people were killed after a platform under construction at a power plant in eastern China collapsed early on Thursday. The latest industrial accident in a nation with a miserable safety record killed at least 67 people so far.
According to the official Xinhua news agency, a cooling tower platform plunged to the ground in the early hours, trapping an unknown number of people beneath it. While the state broadcaster shows the death toll at 67, local reports said one person was still missing.
Soon after the accident, the rescue operation started. Along with 32 fire engines, 212 military personnel had been deployed to the accident spot, said the Jiangxi provincial fire department.
The construction of two 1,000-megawatt coal-fired power units started in last July. It was likely to be completed by early 2018. The development was to cost a total of 7.67 billion yuan (now $1.1 billion).
Industrial mishaps are quite common in China. Lately, a pipeline burst out at a coal-fired power plant in the neighboring province of Hubei. The incident killed nearly 21 people in August.
In another incident in earlier this summer, over 130 people were admitted to hospital after chemicals leaked from a plant in eastern China.
And there are many such incidences.
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has ordered a probe into the accident, demanding that those responsible for the accident should be held accountable, said the central government. “Strengthen supervision and preventive measures, prevent such a major accident from happening again,” it cited Li as saying in a statement on its website.