Coronavirus is a collective family of viruses common in species of animals such as camels, cats, and bats, causing illness in people. It is noticed as MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV and now with 2019-nCoV that animal coronavirus infected people.
Currently, the death toll rose to 490 as of 4 February 2020 in China. As per the China’s National Health Commission, the number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the country rose to 24,324 after an additional 3,887 people were treated with the virus.
How coronavirus spreads?
- Coronavirus disseminates people to people through respiratory droplets produced via coughing, sneezing to a healthy person alike cough and cold. What happens is that these droplets through the mouth or nose of people reach the lungs during the inhalation process. Therefore, it is preferred to one to maintain a distance of about 0.5m to 2m so that they will be safe from large droplets.
- Mask is advised for a person suffering from cough/cold/sneeze to protect everyone else nearby from disease.
- It is also recommended for a person to avoid going to crowded places or public places as you might come in contact with a virus which will ultimately make you sick.
- In some cases, you may get into contact with the saliva of a sick person, which gets on the things through their hands to door knobs, train straps, pens, digital devices, lift buttons, cups, stair banisters, etc. So, whenever you touch any of these things accidentally or unknowingly, then touch your face, nose, rub your eyes or touch your loved ones’ face, etc. You might fall sick.
- Let me tell you that the virus lasts for up to 24 hours on objects. The effective way to get rid of them is to wash these objects with soap.
- At present, it is unclear if a person can get novel coronavirus by touching a surface or object that has virus.
- As we are aware that respiratory viruses are more contagious when they are most symptomatic.
We can’t simply ignore this virus spreads since some viruses are infectious while others are not much. As per information, investigations and research are still going on about 2019-nCoV.
Animals are the original source of the virus, but now it also seems that it is spreading from person-to-person. Yet, it is unclear how coronavirus is spreading among people and so rapidly.
Precautions that should be followed:
- Before touching anyone’s face, hands, or before eating, wash your hands thoroughly
- After wearing a mask for one day, switch to another one. Hence, change your mask daily.
- Do not share food, cups, utensils, towels, etc.
- If a person is having a positive in response to coronavirus or with 2019-nCoV infection.
- Then, doctors and their staff decide whether the patient can be cared for at home or need to be hospitalised.
- If they find that a person has no need of hospitalise, he or she can be cured at home then under observation then, the patient must follow some preventive measures as mentioned below:
- Patient has to be at home, outside activities are restricted.
- Patient should stay in a separate room as much as possible and should remain isolated from other members of the family. If possible, he or she is required to use a separate bathroom.
- Wearing a facemask
- It is advised to them to cover their mouth and nose with a tissue while coughing or sneezing. Then, throw the tissue in a lined trash and wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Patients can also clean hands with an alcohol-based sanitizer that consist of at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t share personal household items to anyone.
- Monitor the symptoms.
Therefore, it is necessary to take precautions as it said that “Prevention is better than cure”.