Diwali, the festival of lights, is one of the most significant and the most-awaited religious festivals for Hindus in India. Also known as Deepawali, the festival is celebrated in honour of Lord Ram’s return to Ayodhya after an exile of fourteen years.
Diwali is linked to Goddess Lakshmi – the goddess of wealth and prosperity.
Bestowed with good fortune, prosperity and wealth, devotees begin the puja by praying Lord Ganesha followed by a puja for Goddess Lakshmi to ward away obstacles. Lakshmi puja is performed on the third day of Diwali. It is believed that on this day Goddess Lakshmi visits her devotees and bestows blessings and gifts on them. The Goddess is bestowed with four hands which stand for dharma, kama, artha and moksha.
In 2018, Lakshmi puja falls on Wednesday, November 7.
The Tithi on which Lakshmi Pujan is performed coincides with Amasya or new moon day. This year the Tithi begins at 10:27 PM on November 6 and ends at 9:31 PM on November 7.
Pradosh Kaal timings – 5:27 to 8:06
Vrishabha Kaal timings– 5:57 to 7:53
Lakshmi Pujan timings – 5:57 to 7:53
Diwali Puja Vidhi
* Lay down a piece of red or yellow cloth on a clean and raised wooden platform.
* Spray handful of grains in the center of the cloth and place a kalash on it. Add a handful of grains, water, flower, coin and betel nuts. Take five five mango leaves and place it around the neck of the kalash.
* Place a small plate filled with rice on the kalash. Draw a lotus on the rice with turmeric powder
* Respectfully place the idol or photo of Goddess Lakshmi on the platform, in front of the kalash.
* Light a Panchmukhi Diya, a lamp with 5 faces. The lamp helps to get rid of the negativity and welcome prosperity and positive energy.
* Offer kumkum-turmeric and flowers to Goddess Lakshmi. Recite Vedic mantras.
* Offer puffed rice, sweets, coconut, and fruits to the Goddess.
* Place jewellery and other valuables on a swastika. It is worshipped as a symbol of Lord Kubera.
* At the end, perform the aarti.
Diwali Mantras to chant
Om Shreem Gam Saumyaya Ganpataye Vara Varada |
Sarvajanam Me Vashamanaya Svaha॥
Lakshmi-Ganesha Dhyan Mantra
Dantabhaye Chakravarau Dadhanam, Karagragam Swarnghatam Trinetram।
Dhritabjayalingitamabdhi Putrya-Lakshmi Ganesham Kanakabhamide॥
Rinharta Ganapati Mantra
Om Ganesha Rinam Chhindhi Varenyam Hum Namah Phat॥