EPF UAN: Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) is a retirement investment plan administered by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) for the retirement security of employees. Private sector organisations with 20 or more employees are required to register with EPFO. Employers with fewer than 20 employees can register voluntarily for the EPF.
The EPF scheme has been devised to provide employees with retirement benefits. A monthly deduction of 12% of the employee’s basic salary and dearness allowance is made to the EPF, with the employer contributing the same amount.
Why is EPF UAN important?
Every employee enlisted in the EPF scheme is assigned a 12-digit Universal Account Number (UAN) by EPFO. All employees and unorganised labourers must link their Aadhaar cards to their Employee Provident Fund (EPF) accounts, per EPFO regulations.
“Beginning 1.1.2022, your employer or establishment will not be able to deposit your monthly contribution if your UAN is not linked to your Aadhaar number. If you have not already done so, please integrate your Aadhaar with your UAN by December 31, 2021,” the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) states on the Member Sewa Portal.
However, EPFO extended the deadline for linking UAN to Aadhaar until March 31, 2024, in April 2023.
How to link EPF UAN and Aadhaar:
If the Universal Account Number is active, it can be linked to Aadhaar in three ways:
- Initially using the UMANG App
- Second, by utilising OTP Verification on the EPFO e-KYC Portal.
- Offline Form Submission.
UAN-Aadhaar linkage through the UMANG app
- Log in to the UMANG App with your UAN.
- An OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered with the UAN.
- After the OTP verification has been completed, input your Aadhaar information.
- An additional OTP will be sent to the Aadhaar-registered mobile number and email address.
- Following the verification of the OTP, the Aadhaar will be linked to the UAN.
Linking UAN-Aadhaar on the EPFO Portal
- Navigate to the EPFO e-sewa website and log in with your UAN credentials to access your EPF account.
- Locate the Know Your Customer (KYC) option and select on it in the ‘Manage’ section.
- Select Aadhaar and input the required information. To continue, please click Save.
- UIDAI data will be used to verify the Aadhaar.
- After the completion of the KYC process, your Aadhaar will be linked to your EPF account.
Offline EPF UAN-Aadhaar linkage
To attach the Aadhaar to your EPF account offline, you must be physically present at one of the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) branches or Common Service Centres (CSC). The application for integrating UAN with Aadhaar must be submitted in person, along with a photocopy of your Aadhaar card that has been self-attested.