The leakage of chlorine gas in a small village on the outskirts of Gujarat led to 19 people being hospitalized, said district officials on Friday. The incident happened last night because of leakage in the valve of a chlorine gas cylinder.
It happened when the process of chlorination in a drinking water tank placed in Por village was going on, the officials said as per a report in HT. People affected with exposure to the gas including workers involved in the cleaning process, were sent to the state-owned Sayajirao hospital.
The incident came into the light when the workers started complaining of eye and throat irritation, said Vadodara district collector Lochan Sehra. The village is located on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad national highway.
A group of officials from the firm that supplies gas cylinders for chlorination purposes reached to the location and defused the cylinder into nearby Dhadhar River. In the meantime, Rajeev Deveshwar Gupta, superintendent of Sir Sayajirao General Hospital said the condition of people affected with the gas is stable now.