With the Opposition slamming the Centre for its handling of the India-China border standoff in Sikkim, External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj, called for an all-party meeting in New Delhi on Friday over the month-long issue.
The meeting has been called to discuss the events at the border and the steps taken by the government so far. The decision to convene the meeting was taken to ensure that the issue is discussed before the start of the monsoon session of Parliament next week.
Sources said that Swaraj will convene the meeting with all the parties on Friday at 5 pm at Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s residence. Several Union ministers, National Security Adviser, Ajit Doval, and Foreign Secretary, S Jaishankar will also be present.
The ongoing military standoff has heightened tension at the Bhutan-India-China tri-junction leading to heated exchanges between India and China.
“China has explicitly pointed out that the illegal trespass of Indian border troops into China’s territory this time took place at the defined Sikkim section of the China-India boundary, which is utterly different in nature from the previous frictions between the two sides at the undefined sections of the China-India boundary,” Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Geng Shuang said.
In reply, Minister of State in the PMO, Jitendra Singh said India is better equipped today to meet any challenges than it was in 1962. Singh’s comments came days after Defence Minister, Arun Jaitley said that the India of 2017 is different from the India of 1962.
China has accused Indian troops of trespassing in Sikkim’s Doklam sector.