Kamal Haasan is an Indian actor, dancer, film director, screenwriter, producer, playback singer, lyricist and politician who works primarily in Tamil cinema. Hassan has also so worked in Malayalam, Hindi, Telugu, Kannada and Bengali films.
Be it experimenting drastically with his looks, playing the toughest of roles using prosthetics at a time when nobody else had attempted it in films, the list of Kamal Haasan’s achievements is long.
On Kamal Haasan’s birthday, here are lesser-known facts about him
- Kamal started his acting career when he was just six, and won an award, too, at that young age. His role was that of an orphaned child in Kalathur Kannama (1959) and for his performance in it, he was awarded the prestigious President’s, Gold Medal.
- In 1994, he added another feather to his hat by becoming the first Indian actor to get Rs 1 crore as his remuneration for a single film.
- Kamal’s 1987 hit, Nayakan had impressed audience globally. The film and its story were so poignant, that in 1997, the Time Magazine listed Nayakan as one of the Top 100 Best Films of all time.
- Kamal has given silver jubilee films in five languages —Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada and Telugu.
- Kamal is the highest Filmfare Award achiever — he’s got it 19 times in the history of Indian cinema. Being his humble self, he reportedly requested the Filmfare Association to withdraw his name from future awards to ensure youngsters get these awards.