New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday put off his plan for indefinite hunger strike for full statehood in view of the “Indo-Pak situation”.
Kejriwal who was to go on indefinite fast on Friday tweeted, “In view of the prevailing Indo-Pak situation, I am postponing my “upwas” (fast) for full statehood of Delhi. We all stand as one nation today.”
He, however, said he would not end the fight against the injustice being done to the national capital.
“We can have our fight later, but currently the situation is serious. That is more important,” he said addressing a rally.
During the rally, Kejriwal attacked the BJP-led central government for “mistreating the people of Delhi and doing injustice to them”.
Speaking at the Delhi Assembly last week during a discussion on full statehood, the Chief Minister had said he would start a movement to organise the people from March 1.
“It will be my privilege to lay down my life fighting for the rights of the people of Delhi. Delhi deserves full statehood and must get it at any cost,” he said.