In India, Football and Bhaichung Bhutia are synonymous to each other. The ever-so-accurate with his shorts, Baichung is not only a national legend but is also one of the greatest players Asian football has ever seen. Instrumental in turning the eyes of the Indian sports followers to football, Bhutia has a humble attitude, both on and off the field.
As the Sikkimese Sniper turns 42 today we list some facts that you might not know about the legendary striker.
1. At the age of 19, he became India’s youngest ever goalscorer after netting one against Uzbekistan in 1995 Nehru Cup encounter.
2. Bhaichung is the receipt of Arjuna Award and Padma Shri
3. The striker has been Indian Player of the Year twice.
4. He was also inducted in the Asian Football Hall of Fame.
5. In 1992 he was awarded the Best Player title at Subroto Cup.
6. The Sikkimese Sniper is an ardent supporter of Arsenal and Barcelona.
7. Bhaichung won the reality show, Jhalak Dillaaja
8. He chose to play for India U-16 over giving his ICSE exams.
9. In 2000 Bhutia became the first Asian-born footballer to score in an English professional match