Maqbool Fida Husain, India’s best-known art maestro popularly known as M.F Husain was one of the most inspirational artists who had redefined art to a great extent. He was born on September 17, 1915, in Pandharpur.
The artist faced a lot of wrath throughout his life because of his controversial artworks and stands. From choosing to draw Hindu goddesses to paint 90’s top actress Madhuri Dixit, Husain knew the art of making people look at his work.
Associated with Progressive Artist’s Group, or ‘PAG of Bombay’, the narrative of his paintings reflected ‘Cubist’ style and that made him the first Indian artist to follow such a distinguished genre.
Husain turned a filmmaker in 1967 with his first film ‘Through the Eyes of a Painter’. Then he went on to make ‘Gaja Gamini’ with Madhuri Dixit. Later he made ‘Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities’ with Tabu, which landed into controversy.
His work was highly acclaimed but also various controversies were surrounded on his work and due to that, he had to spend his last days away from the homeland.
On 104th birth anniversary of M.F Husain, here’s looking at 5 powerful quotes by the artist:
- They can put me in a jungle. Still, I can create.
- I only give expression to the instincts from my soul.
- I think you don’t do work for controversy alone, and whenever you do new work which people don’t understand and they say it is done to create controversy.
- And the best way to reach the people was to paint a superstar
- Mostly the people are ignorant to know the language of paintings