Dayanand Saraswati, the great Indian philosopher has marked 196th birth anniversary. He was a great Indian social leader and was the founder of Arya Samaj. The righteous leader gave the nation a number of calls for Swaraj, he is also known for his famous saying India for Indians.
He gave many contributions to the country and that includes equal rights for women, right to education, Vedas in Sanskrit and Hindi.
Apart from all this, here are some interesting facts about the great philosopher:
1. The real name of Swami Dayanand Saraswati was Mool Shankar.
2. Dayanand Saraswati was a die-hard believer of Vedas.
3. From his childhood, Dayanand Saraswati was a Sanyasi.
4. Dayanand Saraswati gave the famous calling of India for Indians which was later taken up by Lokmanya Tilak.
5. Dayanand Saraswati was against many outrageous activities which prevailed in his time and he took a stand for all of it, either it was child marriage or right to education, he did not fear to take a stand on it.
6. Dayanand Saraswati had a number of followers and that included the list of very famous personalities too like Bhagat Singh, Veer Savarkar, Madan Lal Dhingra Ashfaq Ullah Khan, Lala Lajpat Rai and many more.
7. He was also known as the maker of India and it was said by the then President of India S Radhakrishnan and Sri Aurobindo.
8. Dayanand’s legacy is still being prevailed as there are more than 800 schools under D.A.V College Managing Committee, which is based on his ideas and reforms.
9. Dayananda Saraswati’s contributions to literary works have been immense. In total, he has more than 60 works, including a 16-volume explanation of the Vedas.
10. It is said that once while participating in a debate in Varanasi in 1869, Dayananda Saraswati won the debate by defeating 27 scholars and over 12 pandits. The debate was attended by 50,000 people and the topic was “Do the Vedas uphold deity worship?”