Marathi Bhasha din or Marathi Language Day is celebrated on Feb 27 every year. It marks the birth anniversary of eminent Marathi poet Kusumagraj also known as Vishnu Vaman Shirwadkar.
On this day, the contributions of Kusumagraj are honoured and to pay respect Marathi Bhasha din is marked.
Despite the fact, Marathi language is spoken widely in Maharashtra but still in a country like ours anything can be a part of our culture through books and movies.
The Marathi film industry is known for some amazing content based films in the past years. If you are a cinema lover, these masterpieces from the Marathi film industry are a must watch.
Check out the best Marathi films that every cinema lover should watch
- Shwaas (2004) – The film depicts an emotional bond between a grandfather and his grandson who suffers from a rare type of cancer that will make him lose his eyesight. But his grandfather makes him see the best of everything before he loses his eyesight. The film will make an emotionally positive impact and will surely change your attitude towards life.
- Jogwa (2009)- The sensitive topic of Devdasi tradition which is followed in rural areas is depicted in the film. It goes on liberating a woman from the superstition of religion. This film carries a social message and has also won National Award for Best Film on Social Issues in 2008.
- Harishchandrachi Factory (2010)- The cinema lovers should definitely watch this film as it tells the story of commencing of Marathi Film Industry by Dadasaheb Phalke. Making of the first moving picture is being depicted in the film and also how the first Marathi film was made is shown in the film.
- Balak Palak (2013)- The film gives a humorous turn to the topic of sex education and without getting vulgar or cheap it covers the topic of sex education and also gives a nice angle to it.
- Duniyadaari (2013)- If social issues centric films don’t interest you then you should surely go for watching this one. The film is a romantic comedy based in a college. It explains the beautiful bond of love and friendship. Despite being long, the film is a full entertainer, courtesy songs and dance combo in the film balance it all.
This Marathi language day, watch these Marathi films and appreciate the beauty of the language through these masterpieces.