Iranian film director Asghar Farhadi, nominated for Oscar, will be unable to attend this year’s ceremony in the wake of US President Donald Trump banning nationals from seven Muslim countries from entering USA.
Farhadi is nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film for the movie ‘The Salesman’, which tells the story of a couple whose relationship takes a hit after moving into a house that was previously inhabited by a woman who was allegedly a prostitute.
The Salesman’s co-star Taraneh Alidoosti has already said that she will be boycotting the award ceremony to protest Trump’s executive orders.
This year’s Academy Awards will take place on Sunday 26 February.
Farhadi had won an Oscar in 2102 for the movie ‘A Seperation’.
On Sunday, Donald had issued a new executive order denying people from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia entry to USA for 90 days.
He said that the move was to allow for “extreme vetting” and to “keep terrorists out”.