7-Eleven Day popularly known as Free Slurpee Day is celebrated on July 11 every year in the United States of America. The day is celebrated to commemorate the birthday of one of the largest convenience stores with its signature items, Slurpee.
Free Slurpee Day intends to celebrate one of the popular American drinks in the summertime with free of cost. People across the country enjoy this National 7-Eleven Day by having their favorite flavor Slurpee and other food deals with special discounts.
This year due to the coronavirus pandemic, America’s largest convenience store chain has cancelled the annual free Slurpee event. In a press release, the convenience store chain said the cancellation was because of “the uncertainties associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.”
On the occasion of 7-Eleven Day, we are sharing with you some mind cooling facts about Slurpee:
- “Brain Freeze’ is trademarked by 7-Eleven.
- Adults were slightly embarrassed to be seen with Slurpee.
- Slurpee delivery, 7-Eleven introduced a highly innovative dual-flavor Slurpee for the product’s 45th anniversary in 2011.
- For a promotional stunt in Australia in 2015, 7-Eleven recorded a series of radio spots featuring whales mating and screaming soccer fans.
- In 2003, the company took Slurpee delivery development further with an edible straw.
- The Slurpee was discovered by accident.
- Nearly 30 years later, DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist sampled the song “Dance the Slurp” for their Brainfreeze mix album in 1999. The song includes the lyric: “slurp-slurrrppp” to imitate the signature sound.
- Initially, coke and cherry were the only sole options for the Slurpee.
- “Grapermelon,” Banana Cream Pie, Red Licorice, “Purple S-Cream,” “Slurpurita Pomegranate,” and “Shrek-alicious” are some other flavours of Slurpee.
- In 2010, 7-Eleven launched a massive promotional campaign in the form of the Slurpee Unity Tour, a cross-country trek from 7-Eleven’s Dallas headquarters to the nation’s capital, giving away free samples of their new purple drink (a mixture of red and blue, ala Republicans and Democrats) to Slurpee fans along the way.