National Science Day 2021: February 28 is observed as National Science Day in India as on this day, world-renowned scientist CV Raman invented the ‘Raman Effect’ in 1928.
National Science Day 2021: Theme
The theme for National Science Day 2021 is “Future of STI: Impacts on Education, Skills, and Work”. The theme has been chosen for the purpose of raising public appreciation of the scientific issues involved and the impacts science has on education, skill and work.
History of National Science Day
In 1986, the National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) asked the Government to pronounce February 28 as National Science Day. The first National Science Day was celebrated in 1987.
On the occasion of National Science Day 2021, here’s a look at Sir CV Raman’s contribution to Physics:
- Sir CV Raman received the Nobel Prize in 1930 for his work on the scattering of light and the discovery of the effect named after him ‘Raman Effect’.
- Being brought up under the aegis of his father a physics lecturer, CV Raman was well immersed in the subject since his childhood.
- CV Raman qualified class 10th at the age of 11 years and also attended school on a scholarship at the age of 13.
- Sir CV Raman started his experiments for studying how light is scattered; and thus came the Raman Spectroscopy for observing the vibrational, rotational, and other low-frequency modes in a system.
- In 1954 he received the highest civilian award from his home country, the Bharat Ratna.
- Dr Ernest Rutherford, the man who discovered the nucleus and the proton, referred to Raman’s spectroscopy in his presidential address to the Royal Society in 1929.
- Raman was also obsessed with working on the acoustics of musical instruments and was also the first to investigate the harmonic nature of the sounds of Indian drums.
- Sir CV Raman retired from the Indian Institute of Science in 1948 and established the Raman Research Institute in Bengaluru in 1949.
- He served there as its director and remained active there until his death on November 21, 1970.