Puthandu or Tamil New Year is observed on the first day of the Tamil month of Chithirai. For this year, Puthandu will occur on Wednesday, April 14 2021. It is also known as Varusha Pirappu.
Set with the lunisolar Hindu calendar’s solar cycle, it is the first day of the traditional Tamil new year and is a public holiday in Tamil Nadu as well as Sri Lanka.
In Tamilnadu, Sankranthi takes place after sunrise and before sunset and the year commences on the same day. If Sankranthi takes place after sunset then the year begins on the following day.
In Kerala, it is celebrated as Vishu, in Orissa as Pana Sankranti, in West Bengal as Pahela Baishakh, in Assam as Bihu, in Punjab as Vaisakhi and Pohela Boishakh in West Bengal. Notably, states like Manipur, Tripura, Odisha, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, too commemorate their new year festivities on the same day.
Important Timings On Puthandu 2021
|Sunrise||April 14, 2021 6:10 AM|
|Sunset||April 14, 2021 6:43 PM|
|Sankranti Moment||April 14, 2021 2:39 AM|
Rituals during Puthandu:
- A popular custom of ‘Kanni’ is followed where the auspicious sight is carried a day before the rituals. A plate decorated with fruits, jewellery, cash, betel leaves, flowers and a mirror is placed to ensure that Kanni is seen at the first sight. As it is a belief that seeing Kanni at the first sight brings happiness and prosperity in the coming New Year.
- ‘Kolam’ or powdered rice flour is used to beautifully decorate houses and surroundings. ‘Kuthuvilakku’ which signifies a lamp is placed in the middle of the Kolam that represents the removal of darkness from life.
- People wear new bright coloured clothes and greet each other by wishing Puthandu Pirappuv or Puthandu Vazthukal which means ‘Happy New Year’.
- Delicacies such as Asma, Aluva, Aggala, Kevum, Kokis and Atirasa are prepared three days before the New Year. These are special items cooked during Puthandu.
- Devotees visit temples to receive divine blessings. While some Tamilian families perform rituals like ‘Tharpanam’ for the salvation of the departed souls of their ancestors.
- The highlights of New Year day is the organising of a car festival at Tiruvidaimarudur and the grand marriage of Goddess Meenakshi to Lord Sundareswarar in the famous temple of Madurai.
Significance of Puthandu or Tamil New Year 2021
Puthandu is celebrated among the Tamil community as the day of the Universe’s creation by Brahmadeva. Whereas, some people also believe that the ‘Prince of Harmony’, Indradev visited Earth on this day to ensure peace and contentment. Hence, this day is considered to be a highly favourable and significant day of the year.
In Tamil Nadu and few other Southern states of India, Puthandu is a day of feasting and merrymaking. Tamils celebrate this festival with immense hope and joy to ensure that the New Year brings growth and opportunities in their lives.
Happy Puthandu 2021: Wishes, Tamil New Year Messages, Quotes, Images, Facebook & Whatsapp status
On this auspicious day of the Tamil New Year, we hope that you and your family will be showered with God’s divine blessings. Puthandu Vazthukal!
May this New Year bring lots of joy and prosperity in your life. Puthandu Vazthukal!
May your life be filled with happiness and prosperity! Puthandu Vazthukal!
A new year brings new hopes into our lives. This New Year I wish your life is filled with happiness and new opportunities. Happy New Year!
I hope this New Year fills our lives with lots of cheer, peace and prosperity! Puthandu Vazthukal!
We wish you and your family a very Happy New Year today. Puthandu Vazthukal!
This New Year, I pray that God makes your life more beautiful. Puthandu Vazthukal!
Create new aspirations and aim for better goals for yourself this New Year! Puthandu Vazthukal!
I wish that the almighty helps you achieve all your goals this new year. Puthandu Vazthukal!
Have a happy and healthy new year! Puthandu Vazthukal!
Sending you my warmest wishes this new year! Puthandu Vazthukal!
Here’s wishing you and your loved one the best for the coming year. Puthandu Vazthukal!
Sending my warmest wishes to you and your family on this New Year. Puthandu Vazthukal!
May this New Year usher in prosperity and new beginnings in your life. Puthandu Vazthukal!
Wishing you lots of love and happiness on this happy occasion of a New Year. Puthandu Vazthukal!
On this Tamil New Year, I wish you and your loved ones are showered with God’s blessings. Here’s hoping your life is filled with peace, happiness and prosperity. Puthandu Vazthukal!