The results of the fifth edition of the nationwide annual cleanliness survey, ‘Swachh Survekshan 2020’ was announced by the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri on Thursday.
The Ministry declared Indore as India’s cleanest city fourth time in a row under its Swachh Bharat Mission followed by cities like Surat and Navi Mumbai which grabbed the second and third positions respectively.
Indore is India’s cleanest city 4th year in a row. The city & its people have shown exemplary dedication towards cleanliness. Congratulations to MP CM @ChouhanShivraj people, political leadership & Municipal Corporation for this superlative performance. pic.twitter.com/cg3DH6PnHM
— Hardeep Singh Puri (@HardeepSPuri) August 20, 2020
Meanwhile, a record was also created in Barak Valley with Silchar emerging as the cleanest city of Assam with a national ranking of 340, according to the Survekshan 2020 dashboard.
Assam has been named the ‘Fastest Mover State’. Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has congratulated all those associated with the effective implementation of the Swachh Bharat Mission Urban in the State.
- Hailakandi has won the “Best City” in innovation and best practices (population between 25,000-50,000) in the North East Zone category.
- In the category of population between 50,000-1,00,000, Diphu has won the “Fastest Mover” city.
- Karimganj has won the “Best Self-Sustainable City” recognition.
- Sibsagar has been declared as the “Best City” in innovation and best practices (population between 50,000-1,00,000) in the North East Zone category.
- Tezpur has won the “Best City in Citizens Feeback” in the same category. Assam has also won the “Fastest Mover State” (less than 100 urban local bodies) category.
Swachh Survekshan was introduced by the government to generate large-scale citizen participation in the Mission, along with inculcating a spirit of healthy competition among cities towards becoming India’s cleanest cities.
“1.87 crore citizens participated in the survey of 4,242 cities, 62 cantonment boards and 92 towns along the Ganga river,” Ministry spokesperson Rajeev Jain had said on Tuesday.