Love has moved out of romance novels and Yash Raj movies, to the news. The Indian media loves their power couples and their readers can’t get enough.
There are some couples who make it a point that they always remain in the news and in limelight, be it for a film or for their personal life. These couples not only belong to the entertainment industry but also from the politics side.
Anshul Sushil, Founder and CEO of Wizikey said, “It’s interesting to see the power couples trending across industries from politics to Bollywood, business and sports. Ironically, they made much more news around their life events than their professions. The AI and ML capabilities of Wizikey help us understand the media landscape better with such insights.”
On Valentines Day, here’s looking at power couples who are media’s favourite and never shy away from the camera.
- One such interesting insight was that Ambani father-son duo was equally in the news (70% each) with their better halves and most of the coverage was positive. Mukesh Ambani and Nita Ambani have always been appreciated for their elegance and grace on all occasions. Now, Akash Ambani and Shloka Mehta are also winning media love as a couple. Both the power couples have been part of important political and Bollywood events and are appreciated for their ethereal looks. Also, Nita Ambani’s love for the arts was recognized when she became the first Indian trustee of New York’s Metropolitan Museum.
- Ranveer Singh is famous in the media for his vigour amongst his fans, while Deepika Padukone is known for her poise. The much-adored power couple has constantly been in the news for a number of reasons from their lovely vacation pictures to their promise of standing by through sunshine or rain. Also, their support and respect for each other’s work, be it Deepika’s Chaapak or Ranveer’s upcoming ‘83 is admired by the media and their fans with the most percentile of new articles and positive coverage (53%) in comparison to other Bollywood couples.
- The new couple in the B-Town Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt have been mentioned in many news articles for their rumoured wedding in December 2020. The earnest Ranbir Kapoor and cheerful Alia Bhatt are also getting coverage for their upcoming movie Brahmastra as audiences are looking forward to seeing the second most celebrated Bollywood couple together on screen for the first time. As per the Wizikey data, they have the most number of new articles floating but the positive ones were only 18%.
- Akhilesh and Dimple, the power couple of Indian politics were mentioned more than 700 times in the news articles. Most of them were from the 2019 elections where both of them were able to secure their parliamentary seats. They were also in the news when Mayawati parted ways with Akhilesh after the 2019 elections, as it was a major setback for Samajwadi Party. Akhilesh preparation for the 2022 UP Elections was also one of the hot topics for the couple. The sentiment of the news for the couple was mostly neutral.
- Virat and Anushka fondly known as Virushka were the biggest power couple in the sports category. The couple generated more than 3500+ news mentions out of which 47% of the news was positive. The couple was 11 times more popular than the other newsmakers in the same category. They were in the news mostly because of their Bhutan and New Year vacations. India winning the series against West Indies was also one of the highlights covered widely by the media.
- Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap were also loved by the media as a sports power couple. They generated more than 100 media mentions, with most of them coming from the Korea Open, where both of them performed really well. Their participation at the All England Championship and Indonesia Open were also covered widely by the media. 31% of news generated by the couple was positive in nature.