Every year on June 21, World Music Day is celebrated. World Music Day is celebrated in over 120 countries including the country where this day has its origin, France. There this day is known as ‘Fete de la Musique’ meaning “festival of music” to honor the amateur and professional musicians.
The idea of the day was conceived in the 1970s by American musician Joel Cohen who used to work for a French radio station as he wanted bands to play on the evening of June 21 to welcome the first day of summer.
The day was finally adopted by France’s ministry of culture in 1982 due to efforts of Minister of Culture Jack Lang and French composer and music journalist Maurice Fleuret who had joined the ministry the previous year.
The first ‘Fete de la Musique’ was held on the streets of Paris and became a huge success within a few years.
On World Music Day 2019, Check out some of the most relatable quotes on Music by some legends of the music world
- “Music has a healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours.” – Elton John
- “My music fights against the system that teaches to live and dies.” – Bob Marley
- “If music is the food of love, play on.” – William Shakespeare
- “Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can’t.” – Johnny Depp
- “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” – Bob Marley
- “The world’s most famous and popular language is music.” – Psy