A two-month old child in Chhattisgarh died after the door of the ambulance that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned. When the boy’s father tried to break open its window, he was warned against damaging the government’s property.
The infant, who was slated for a cardiac surgery in a private hospital, had to be rushed to Dr BR Ambedkar Memorial Hospital nearby from Raipur station in the morning after his condition started deteriorating.
Once the parents had arrived in Raipur, Ambika Kumar, the father, dialled Sanjeevani Express, a free ambulance service supported by the government. However, when they reached the hospital, the door of the ambulance got stuck. They struggled for hours and despite help from a mechanic, they were unable to open the door.
They struggled for hours and despite help from a mechanic, they were unable to open the door. When Mr Kumar wanted to break the windows, he was told he couldn’t do so. The baby died inside the vehicle.
GVK EMRI, which operates the Sanjeevani Ambulance service, however, denied the allegations.