अब आप न्यूज्ड हिंदी में पढ़ सकते हैं। यहाँ क्लिक करें
Home » India » Dadri lynching: Tensions escalate in Bisara as kin refuse to cremate accused’s body

Dadri lynching: Tensions escalate in Bisara as kin refuse to cremate accused’s body

By Newsd
Updated on :
GREATER NOIDA, INDIA - SEPTEMBER 29: Family members of Mohammad Akhlaq (50-year-old man) mourn during his funeral at their village in Bisada on September 29, 2015 in Greater Noida, India. Akhlaq was beaten to death and his son critically injured by a mob over an allegation of storing and consuming beef at home, late night on Monday, in UPs Dadri. Police and PAC were immediately deployed in the village to maintain law and order. Six persons were arrested in connection with the killing of man. (Photo by Burhaan Kinu/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

The village of Bisara witnessed escalated tensions on Tuesday night after the death of Ravi, one of the accused in Dadri Lynching reached his village. Police personnel manned the village gates, mosque and local temple among other places as many took to the streets to organise rallies and burn the effigies of Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav.

21-year-old Ravi was one of the 19 accused of killing Akhlaq for allegedly keeping beef in his fridge. The residents of Bisara have alleged that the officers of the Gautam Budh Nagar district jail responsible for Ravi’s death and are demanding their arrest.


A Muslim resident of the village said, (Indian Express) “The rally covered the entire village. The participants were shouting slogans condemning (UP minister) Azam Khan and Akhilesh Yadav. The situation is very tense. Police personnel are present in the village but anything can happen. We have been advised not to step out. We are just being careful.”

Meanwhile Ravi’s father Ranvir Sisodia had been waiting for his son’s body for more than 22 hours, “I came here Tuesday evening, after Ravi was brought here for treatment from the prison. I have spent almost a day here but my son’s body has not been given to me. Earlier, we came to know that he was unwell. He fell ill after a scuffle with some jail officials. We had asked the authorities to ensure that he gets proper treatment,” said Sisodia.

“We are arranging for a deep freezer to keep the body… We want a CBI inquiry into the case. The jail officers who were behind his death should be charged with murder, suspended and arrested. The family should be given a compensation of Rs 1 crore and his wife should be given a government job. His widow should also be given a flat like Akhlaq’s brother, Jaan Mohammad, was given,” said Om Mahesh, a relative of Ravi and father of another accused, Vinay.

On September 30, Ravi’s lawyer Ram Saran Nagar had filed a petition in a local court. The plea stated that Ravi was suffering from “chikungunya fever and he has unbearable pain in his spine and other parts of his body”.

“…. The petitioner/accused is not being treated at the district prison hospital. In this situation, keeping in mind the future of the petitioner/accused, it is necessary that the petitioner/accused is shifted to the district hospital in Noida, Gautam Budh Nagar for treatment,” stated the petition.

The court had earlier instructed the jail superintendent to do the needful and his family claimed that Ravi was initially shifted to the district hospital in Noida, he was taken back to the prison, where his condition worsened. “He was at the Noida district hospital only for a few hours… then he was sent back to prison. On Tuesday morning, as Ravi’s condition worsened, he was referred to LNJP Hospital, where he died a few hours later,” said Sisodia.

Also, the National Human Rights Commission had issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government over his death. Taking suo motu cognisance of a media report, NHRC issued notice to the Director General of Prisons and the Director General of Police and sought a report within four weeks.

The NHRC has observed that the content of the report raises a serious issue of “violation of human rights” of the prisoner.