Durva Ashtami Vrat is observed on Shukla Paksha Ashtami in the month of Bhadrapada. Durva Ashtami Vrat is generally observed by women. It is observed on the ‘ashtami’ (8th day) during the ‘Shukla Paksha’ (the bright fortnight of moon) in the lunar month of ‘Bhadrapada’ as per the Hindu calendar. However, in the Gregorian calendar, the date falls between the months of August-September.
Durva Ashtami 2020 Date:
This year Durva Ashtami will be celebrated on August 25. It is celebrated with much enthusiasm and joy in the various eastern regions of the country and mainly in West Bengal. In Bengal, the festival of Durva Ashtami is celebrated in the name of ‘Durvashtami Brata’. The devotees also perform a Durva Ashtami Vrat to please the deities.
Importance of Durva Ashtami:
Durva has a religious significance. It is a symbol of prosperity. As per the legends, the few hair strands that fell from Lord Vishnu’s arm became the Durva Grass. When the Asuras and Devas were carrying the ‘Amrit,’ after Samudra Manthan, few drops of Amrit fell on Durva Grass. Since then it became auspicious and immortal. Those who worship Durva Grass on Durva Ashtami with dedication get all the desires fulfilled. It is believed that those who consume only raw foods on Durva Ashtami is freed from all the sins. The significance of Durva Grass was explained to King Yudhisthira by Lord Krishna. A man who religiously performs the Durva Ashtami Puja will be blessed to keep his legacy moving forward, from generation to generation.
Rituals of Durva Ashtami:
- The females wake up early morning and take a holy bath and get dressed up in new clothes before commencing the rituals.
- Women offer puja and special rituals to Durva grass. The grass is worshipped with curd, incense sticks, flowers, rice, fruits, and various other puja items.
- Women usually keep a Durva Ashtami Vrat, The devotees who observe a fast of Durva Ashtami are required to worship Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva.
- Along with the various puja items, fruits and flowers, Durva grass is also offered to the idols of the deities to please them.
- Women perform all the rituals with utmost devotion and dedication to get blessed with prosperity and the long-life of their children. The rituals also help in bringing harmony, peace, and marital bliss.