Uttar Pradesh police arrested five people in connection with the attack on Nigerian students in Greater Noida
The four Nigerian students were attacked by a mob during a candle-light march for a 17-year-old boy who had died on Saturday.
“Police have arrested five persons. FIR registered and action will be taken accordingly,” Daljit Chaudhary, ADG Law and Order told media.
The locals, who earlier accused the Nigerians of cannibalism when the boy went missing, alleged that the boy had died after the Nigerians forced him to take drug.
“The protest had been taken out by residents of the area to demand the arrest of the five Nigerians for the death of the Class XII student. A section of those gathered in the area, however, attacked some Africans. We have video recordings of the entire protest and attack. Around five people who could be seen attacking them have been picked up. An FIR is being registered and we are identifying those behind the incident.” SSP, Gautam Buddha Nagar told media.
Meanwhile, Facebook page of the Association of African Students in India asked African students to stay indoors until proper security is provided by police. The page also posted several images and videos of the attack and victims injured.
However, Sushma Swaraj has asked for a report from the Government of Uttar Pradesh regarding the physical assault against African students.