A 27-year-old Syrian who was denied asylum last year detonated a bomb outside a bar in Ansbach, Germany. He killed himself and injured a dozen people after he was denied entry into the event because he did not have a ticket. After the explosing, 2,500 people were evacuated from the venue.
“An explosion went off in the city centre and a man, who the latest enquiries show caused it, was killed in the event,” police reportedly said in a statement released. A dozen people were wounded in the explosion, three of them seriously, added a spokeswoman.
Spokesman for the regional interior ministry Michael Siefener confirmed that the explosion “was set off deliberately”. He said authorities were trying to establish the exact cause.
Germany has witnesses multiple terror events in the last month. Nine were killed in Munich on July 22, after David Sonboly went on a shooting rampage at a shopping complex before killing himself. Several were wounded after Riaz Khan Ahmadzai tried to behead people with an axe on a train.
On Sunday, July 24, another Syrian refugee was arrested for killing a woman and injuring two others with a machete near Stuttgart. However, police said the incident was not a “terrorist attack”.