Happy birthday Vidya Balan: Actor Vidya Balan defies every stereotype there is in Bollywood — she is far from being size zero, made her Bollywood debut when she was well into her 20s and can hardly be called a great dancer. Yet, Vidya has been a shining example of talent — in her ability to essay tricky roles. On her birthday today, here is a look at her journey so far.
Indian television fans will vaguely recall her as a curly-haired, spectacled teenager in Hum Paanch (1995). In the years that followed, Vidya tried her luck in South Indian films, particularly her native Tamil and in Malayalam with little success. Then, sometime in early 2000s, she did a Bengali film called Bhalo Theko, but that didn’t work in her favor either.
Five facts about Vidya Balan who has redefined the heroine’s role in Bollywood
- Vidya Balan has a strong connection with Bengal. She has admitted to “feeling Bengali” and speaks the language fluently.
- Vidya is reportedly obsessed with cleanliness and reportedly suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
- Vidya’s friends revealed she was the couple-maker in relationships and loved playing cupid for her friends.
- The actor revealed she had a naughty streak in her and that he called her an devil with wings or an angel with horns.
- Vidya is a voracious reader and especially likes reading author Paulo Coelho.
As Vidya Balan turns a year older , we list down five reasons why we absolutely love this diva.
- We Love Her For Emphasizing On Self Love- The actress came out in the open and talked about facing body-shaming and how she overcame her insecurities by accepting her body as it is. “With each day I have begun to love and accept myself more, but it’s not been easy. You have to fake it till you make it,” Vidya had confessed in one of her interviews.
- She Taught Us To Remain Unaffected By Distractions- In the past, Vidya was slammed for her fashion sense. However, the actress refused to give a damn to the naysayers. She took the criticism in her stride and chose to focus on her talent instead. More power to you!
- Be Real Like Vidya Balan- In the age of everyone wants to be their glam best on social media, Vidya recently took a strong stand against the unrealistic beautiful standards and issued strict rules to photographers and magazines not to use Photoshop, retouch or resize her images in shoots.
- Kudos To Her For Breaking Stereotypes- Gone are the times when it was perceived that a Bollywood heroines’ career goes downhill post marriage. With his impressive acting chops and rock-solid screen presence, Vidya makes us go ‘ooh laa laa’ every time she makes an appearance on screen.