With coronavirus accentuating strongly the Indian Premier League 2020 might be at a brink of cancellation. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 21-day lockdown in the entire country from March 25 onwards to battle against the COVID-19 virus.
The lockdown will go on till April 14, there are also chances of getting it extended.
Previously, IPL 2020 had a threat of postponement but with a lockdown in place, it seems like the tournament is nearing cancellation.
On March 29, IPL 2020 was scheduled to begin. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak, the league was pushed to a later date. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had also cancelled teleconference meeting with franchise owners amid the coronavirus crisis.
BCCI president Sourav Ganguly also remains sceptical and clueless about IPL 2020 future amidst COVID-19 pandemic.
He says in his statement to media, “I can’t say anything at the moment. We are at the same place where we were on the day we postponed. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. So, I don’t have an answer to it. Status quo remains,” he said.
As far as the current tense situation is concerned amidst COVID-19, IPL’s future is undecided.
BCCI will have to take into consideration the ICC’s Future Tours Program (FTP) amidst the disease. India is scheduled to tour Sri Lanka in June, then a proposed series against Zimbabwe, Asia Cup 2020 and finally the ICC T20 World Cup 2020.