A 30-year-old man in Assam shoved mobile phone charger’s cable through his penile urethra. The man complained of stomach ache and lied to the doctors that he had ingested the nearly two-feet-long cable through his mouth.
The doctors then decided to get a stool test and an endoscopy done, to determine the whereabouts of the wire.
“The patient came to us with severe abdomen pain and told us that he consumed a headphone cable by mistake. We examined his stool and conducted an endoscopy as well but couldn’t find the cable. When we operated him, there was nothing in his gastrointestinal tract,” Dr Walliul Islam, a noted surgeon in Guwahati told HT.
“We examined his stool and conducted an endoscopy but could not find the wire. When we operated him, there was nothing in the gastrointestinal tract,” Dr Islam, told The Hindustan Times.
Surprises in Surgery! After 25 years of experience in Surgery, I continue to be surprised and shocked by instances.
The doctor who treated the man, took to his Facebook account to share the not-so-usual medical experience, with pictures and a surgery video which shows the cable being successfully retrieved.
In the Facebook post, Dr Islam wrote, ‘Surprises in Surgery! After 25 years of experience in Surgery, I continue to be surprised and shocked by instances like this where my intellectual and surgical skills are challenged’.
‘A 30 year old man came to me with complaints of pain abdomen and history of accidental ingestion of headphones. I operated upon him to find nothing in his Gastrointestinal tract…but instead discovered a mobile phone charger cord in his Urinary Bladder (sic)’. Dr Islam wrote in shock and amazement.
Dr Islam told News18 that the man had a habit of inserting cables among other things through his penis for sexual pleasure but things didn’t go as planned and the cable ended up reaching his urinary bladder.
“It’s a type of masturbation called urethral sounding, which is the insertion of an object or liquid through the urethra,” the doctor explained.
However, the urethral sounding is not a rare phenomenon. “Instances of men indulging in it are known. But this person went to an extreme and hence the cable reached his urinary bladder,” Islam added.
It was further revealed that the man came to them five days after the ordeal and kept stating that he had consumed it through the mouth. Dr Islam said the patient doesn’t have any mental disorder and indulged in the act only for sexual pleasure.