Six-Time World Champion, Mary Kom celebrates her 38th birthday on 1st March 2021. Mary Kom is one of the greatest and most respected athletes to come out from India.
Popularly known as ‘Magnificent Mary’, the Manipur-born star’s full name is Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom. Mary started practicing boxing after the birth of her twin sons Khupneivar Kom and Rechungvar Kom.
View this post on Instagram
On Mary Kom 38th birthday, here are the lesser-known facts about Indian star
- Mary Kom is the only Indian female boxer to have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics, competing in the flyweight (51 kg) category and winning a bronze medal.
- At the World Championship, she was a success throughout. She won golds in 2002 (Antalya), 2005 (Podolsk), 2006 (New Delhi), 2008 (Ningbo City), 2010 (Bridgetown), with the latest being 2018 (New Delhi).
- In the 1998 Bangkok Asian games, Manipuri Boxer Dingo Singh won a gold medal which inspired Mary Kom to give boxing a chance.
- She is also the only boxer to become Asian Amateur Boxing Champion for a record six times.
- On 25 April 2016, the President of India nominated Kom as a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian parliament.
- After her sixth world title in 2018, the Government of Manipur has conferred on her the title “Meethoi Leima”, loosely translated as a great or exceptional lady in a felicitation ceremony held in Imphal on 11 December 2018.
- The stretch of road leading to the National Games village in Imphal West district, where Kom currently resides, is named as MC Mary Kom Road.
- She became the first Indian female boxer to win a gold medal in the Asian Games in 2014 at Incheon, South Korea, and is the first Indian female boxer to win gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- Mary has won many national and international awards, such as:
- Arjuna Award, 2003,
- Padma Shri, 2006,
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, 2008,
- Padma Bhushan, 2013