Wrestler Narsingh Yadav has tested positive for a banned substance for the second time, according to ANI. The test was conducted on July 5.
Narsingh Yadav previously alleges two fellow wrestlers contaminated his food with a banned steroid. He has filed a complaint at the Sonepat Police Station, Haryana. On Tuesday, Narsingh demanded a CBI inquiry into the incident. Separately, The Indian Olympic Association has requested the United World Wrestling to replace Narsingh Yadav with Praveen Rana in the 74kg category at the Rio Olympics. This request has been accepted by the world wrestling body.
“I have always maintained that there has been a conspiracy against me. If I am cleared of the charges, I will go to Rio. I have identified the boy who was seen contaminating my food. I have given a detailed complaint to the police,” Narsingh told reporters after filing his complaint.
President of the Wrestling Federation of India Brij Bhushan Sharan said, “We suspect Jitesh, who fights in the 75kg category, and Sumit, both of them live in Chhatarsaal. And one of them has admitted to spiking Narsingh’s food. I can’t say on the conspiracy and can’t say whether they did this on their own or on someone’s asking. We cannot investigate this but we support Narsingh’s demand for a CBI inquiry.”
The cook at the SAI centre alleges the accused mixed a white powder in the food meant for Narsingh, and noticed froth coming out of it, according to reports. Narsingh has said he feels officials are involved as he is not being provided the CCTV footage.
The entire doping controversy was taken up by the Lok Sabha on Wednesday. Congress’ Ranjeet Ranjan has questioned the case, saying, “CBI should probe this issue, this controversy can lead Yadav to depression and harm his career even more. He has been practising for this for a long time.” MoS of parliamentary affairs SS Ahluwalia assured the Lower House that he would ask the government to make a statement on the issue.