In a tragic incident, as many as seven elephants died after coming in contact with sagging live electric wire in Odisha’s Dhenkanal district late Friday night.
According to the reports, a power line was being set up as part of laying of a new railway line where an overhead electric wire was hanging loosely near the village. Late last night, around 13 pachyderms were crossing the railway track in the forest, when seven of them came in contact with the electric wire and died on the spot.
The carcasses of the seven elephants were lying scattered near a small water channel passing through vast stretches of agricultural land.
Forest and wildlife department officials have been called in and an investigation has begun.
Instances of tragic animal deaths due to man-made reasons have been reported in the past as well. Earlier this week, two wild elephants were accidentally electrocuted while straying in the jungle at Wokha district of Nagaland.