Lal Bahadur Shastri, the second Prime Minister of India, was known for his mild manner, soft-spoken image, and a low profile style. A believer of ‘want not, waste not’ Shastri led a honest and simple life and put ideals before everything else.
Shastri became part of the country’s struggle for freedom since the 1920s and later went on to become the second Prime Minister of independent India. He took charge as the Prime Minister after the demise of Jawaharlal Nehru. Shastri is fondly remembered for improving relations between India and the neighboring country of Pakistan. An orator par excellence, the short-statured leader was also known for his extreme will-power.
A man of great discipline and integrity, Shastri supported the cause of farmers and made people understand the importance of self-sustenance.
He breathed his last on January 11, 1966 in Russia’s Tashkent.
On his 53rd death anniversary, here are five of the most popular quotes by The Man of Peace which will forever inspire everyone
- India will have to hang down her head in shame if even one person is left who is said in any way to be untouchable.
- We believe in peace and peaceful development, not only for ourselves but for people all over the world.
- That loyalty to the country comes ahead of all other loyalties. And this is an absolute loyalty, since one cannot weight it in terms of what one receives.
- We all have to work in our respective spheres with the same dedication, the same zeal and the same determination which inspired and motivated the warrior on the battle front. And this has to be shown not by mere words, but by actual deeds.
- We have now to fight for peace with the same courage and determination as we fought against aggression.