World Kidney Day is marked on March 14 every year. The fact states that about 850 million people worldwide suffer from kidney diseases relating to various causes. To help increase the awareness regarding the fatal disease, this day is celebrated.
Reports state that approximately at least 2.4 million deaths are caused by Chronic Kidney disease and it is also the 6th fastest growing cause of death which may change to become the 5th leading cause by 2040. That’s the reason this disease demands urgent addressal and increased awareness. World Kidney Day aims to raise awareness on the importance of Kidney to our overall health. It also aims to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and health issues associated with it worldwide.
Theme of World Kidney Day
This year the theme of World Kidney Day is ‘Kidney health for everyone everywhere’ the theme aims to diminish the disparity in terms of access to kidney health and wellness. It also aims to make society a lot more equal for all the people in the world while highlighting the growing kidney diseases and kidney health inequality. The theme calls for universal health coverage for early treatment and prevention of the fatal disease.
Objective & importance of World Kidney Day
Other than raising the awareness about the kidney diseases, the day also highlights the risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease especially diabetes, high blood pressure etc. the day encourages people especially with diabetes and hypertension to opt for systematic screening of the chronic kidney disease.
Other objectives are:
- To encourage and adopt a healthy lifestyle as lifestyle plays an essential role in the prevention of kidney diseases. Diseases are prevented when appropriate preventive measures are taken in terms if better lifestyle
- To make screening for kidney diseases a fundamental healthcare intervention.
- To ensure basic health service for people suffering from kidney diseases.
- To break down socio-economic barriers to guarantee equitable kidney care and increase the quality.
History of the day
www.worldkidneyday.org suggests that the kidney day observance began from the year 2006 and these are the themes for each year till now:
- 2006 Are your kidneys OK?
- 2007 CKD: Common, harmful and treatable
- 2008 Your amazing kidneys!
- 2009 Protect your kidneys: Keep your pressure down
- 2010 Protect your kidneys: Control diabetes
- 2011 Protect your kidneys: Save your heart
- 2012 Donate – Kidneys for Life – Receive
- 2013 Kidneys for Life – Stop Kidney Attack!
- 2014 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and ageing
- 2015 Kidney Health for All
- 2016 Kidney Disease & Children – Act Early to Prevent It!
- 2017 Kidney Disease & Obesity – Healthy Lifestyle for Healthy Kidneys
- 2018 Kidneys & Women’s Health. Include, Value, Empower
The ultimate goal of this day to aware people about the fatal disease universally should be kept in mind and the most important aspect of any disease is stress and should be avoided at any cost. The more the world will be aware, the lesser people will be prone to the fatal disease. So this World Kidney Day, preach about kidney health to everyone, everywhere.