Rafael Nadal said he couldn’t be ready for French Open in Roland Garros in a press conference on Wednesday with his family.
Sitting in a white shirt and pants, he smiled. “I won’t play in the coming months,” he stated.
Nadal lost in the second round of the Australian Open in January because to his hip. He last played tennis four months ago. Nadal will miss Roland Garros for the first time since his 2005 debut.
He was still injured. “The injury has progressed poorly. He declared Roland Garros impossible.
He said the decision was difficult. “After many years playing there, you can imagine how difficult a decision it was for me. “My body decided this,” he stated.
Will Rafael Nadal declare his retirement prior to the 2023 French Open?
The Roland Garros Twitter account tweeted during the press conference:
We can't imagine how hard this decision was. We'll definitely miss you at this year's Roland-Garros. Take care of yourself to come back stronger on courts.
Hoping to see you next year in Paris 🧡 pic.twitter.com/lTN3GExBFo
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) May 18, 2023
“I am not going to set a return date. It could be a goal to reach the end of the year and the Davis Cup. When you can’t do a part of your life with happiness, that moves to the rest. That is why you have to put a point and part On a personal level, it has been a really difficult few years. It has been difficult for me to have continuity, especially because of the physique,” he added. “I need to stop for a while. Don’t know I will be able to practice. I don’t like to predict the future.”
“I sense that next year will be my last year,” he said. “2024 is probably going to be my last year on the professional Tour. My motivation is to try and enjoy and say goodbye to all the tournaments that have been important to me.”
Nadal’s reply implies he will miss Wimbledon, which begins on July 3. He hopes to play “the things that are important to me” at the Olympics.