How to Detect if Someone is Hiding Their Story from You: Instagram lets users hide their stories from other people with a few privacy settings. The reason it works so well is that Instagram doesn’t tell the user who is harmed or make it easy for them to find out. But there are enough ways to put the pieces together if you’re really worried and want to find out if someone has been lying to you about their story.
What does it mean when someone hides their Instagram story?
Users can hide their stories from other people in three different ways. In short, here’s what you need to know about it:
Hide Stories From: This Story setting lets users hide their stories from other users. This way, the other users won’t be able to see any of the stories or highlights. A person with a public account can also hide news from people who aren’t following them.
To share a story with someone on their “Close Friends” list, the circle around their story goes green for those people. However, for everyone else, there is no such change or sign of a news update.
Blocking: This is usually the last option because it stops all user activity and is easier to spot.
We will only talk about the first two ways someone can hide stories from you and what you can do to find out about them in this guide.
How to tell if someone on Instagram hides your story
There are several ways to figure out if someone on Instagram has hidden their story from you. Which one of these works best for you will depend on a number of things, such as whether you follow the person, whether their account is private or public, and the settings they may have used for their tales. Make sure to try all of these ways to get rid of guessing and get the closest thing to the truth.
Method 1: Look at the user’s most important stories.
You can be sure that someone isn’t hiding their Instagram stories from you if you look at the highlights of their tales.
Go to the person’s Instagram page and look at the highlights of their story. If you used to be able to see their highlights but now you can’t, it’s possible that they either deleted all of their stories overnight, which is not likely, or they are hiding their stories from you.
- Go to the person’s Instagram page and look at the highlights of their story.
- You have been added to their “Hide Story From” list if they were visible before and are no longer there.
- Related: How to View Instagram Stories Without Being Seen or Privately
Method 2: Use a different Instagram account to check the user’s tales or highlights.
We need to use a different way to be sure because it’s still possible that the person just chose to delete all of their highlights. Keep in mind, though, that this will only work if the person has a Public account.
Make a temporary Instagram account or use the account of someone else. Check out the page of the person you think is hiding things from you and see if there are any stories or highlights there. If so, you can be sure they’re keeping secrets from you.
- To look at the picture of the person you’re interested in, make a brief Instagram account or use someone else’s Instagram, like a friend or family member’s.
- You can tell they haven’t removed anything because you can see the highlights on their page. They are just hiding their stories from you.
- Remember that this method of approval only works if the person has a public profile and the first method does not. You might need to check Method 4 to be sure if they have a private account.
Step 3. Look at their page without signing in (if they have a public account).
You can tell if someone is hiding their stories from you in a different way if they have a public account.
Use a browser to go to the user’s Instagram page without logging in. If you can see their highlights here but not when you’re logged in, it means they’re not letting you see their stories. You will also see a red ring around their picture if they have a story up right now. This is proof that they are not telling you the truth.
- Go to instagram.com/ and type in the person’s username. Make sure you’re not already logged in.
- If you can see the highlights here but not when you’re logged in, you can be sure that they’re not telling you about their stories.
- You will see a red circle around the user’s personal icon if they have a story shared right now. This means they have hidden their story from you.
Step 4. Ask one of their fans (if the user’s account is secret).
It is easy to find out if someone is hiding something from you if they have a public account. But if their account is private, you won’t be able to do much.
If you want to see a user’s stories and highlights but can’t because they have a secret account, the best thing to do is to ask one of their fans. If the common friend isn’t having the same problem as you, they might be able to tell you if the user has written a story or if their highlights can still be seen.
- Touch base with one of the user’s fans.
- Check to see if they can see the user’s stories or highlights.
- This friend can see the user’s stories and highlights but not you, so it’s clear that they’re not showing it to you.
Step 5: Get in touch with the user’s “Close Friends.”
Many people choose to share their stories only with a small group of “close friends” instead of hiding them from other users. This is a little harder to figure out and needs the same kind of fix as the last one.
Because the user’s Close Friends are the only ones who know if they have shared a story, you will have to contact one of these close friends in the end.
- Go to the user’s following list and look at who they often talk to.
- Find the people who comment on the user’s posts most often, like their posts, and tag them a lot to narrow down your choices.
- Ask those who follow you if they see a green circle around the user’s personal picture. If so, the person may have taken you off the list of close friends. In that case, it might not necessarily mean that they’ve left you out. It could mean a number of other things as well.
Note: If you don’t know the person who follows the user, try to be as nice as possible when you message them. If you ask them nicely, most people won’t mind if you just ask them to answer “yes” or “no.” If you’re lucky, they might even let you know when the person writes another story.
Let’s look at some questions that people often ask about how to tell if someone is lying to you.
Are there any outside Instagram apps that let you see secret stories?
There used to be third-party apps, like BlindStory, that let you see anyone’s Instagram stories. Since then, those features have been taken away, and you don’t learn anything useful from them.
Why can’t I see some Instagram stories?
As long as you can open a story but can’t read it, that means the person removed it.
Because Instagram is designed to protect users’ privacy, it’s not easy to see if someone has left you out of their stories. It’s not possible, though. With a little creativity, some help, and the right conditions, you can be sure that someone is not telling you the truth. We hope this guide helps you with the same thing. Until then!