Chamarajnagar: 35 women devotees who were on their way to Sulawadi Maramma Temple in Chamarajnagar district had landed at another Maramma Temple in Rampura after the driver took them there by mistake. Earlier more than 90 people were admitted to hospital after eating the poisonous Prasad. 14 people have reportedly died so far in the tragedy.
These devotees from Tamil Nadu were earlier very disappointed that their driver lost the track of the route and took them to a wrong temple. But later when they came to know about the ‘poisonous prasadam’ tragedy, heaved a sigh of relief and started praising their Driver Sethu(47).
The driver Sethu who also owns the traveler, is today being regarded by the women as their saviour.
An FIR has been lodged against seven people in the case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder at the Rampura police station and the accused are Chinnappi (55), Mahadevaswamy, Lokesh (26), Maadesh, Puttaswamy (30), Mahadev Poojari (45) and Eranna.
Death toll rises to 14
As per reports, officials are suspecting the hand of a sibyl from the Mutt for the conspiracy of mixing of poison in the ‘prasadam’.
The ‘prasadam’ fiasco happened at Kichugatti Maramma temple at Sulawadi village and the death toll is likely to increase.
Over 90 devotees who consumed the prasadam are being treated in various hospitals. Salamma (35) and Maheshwari (36) died today at Mysuru Apollo hospital. Salamma died around 1;30 AM AND Maheshwari died around 8:10 am.
Minister for Health and Family Welfare Shivananda Patil visited KR Hospital in Mysuru after 44 hours of the tragedy. As per reports, he was heard saying that he received the information very late and at the time of this incident he was in Vijayapura and as a result of that he was late to visit them.
He said, “As many as 450 doctors have been appointed to attend to the patients and all necessary items will be provided to hospitals. The health officers are doing their duty responsibly.”
Patil said that the conditions of six patients were critical and others are being treated in government and private hospitals.
“My department had sent samples of the poisoned prasad to various agencies, including CFTRI and the FSL, for examination,” said Patil.
Meanwhile, Irrigation Minister CS Putturaju monitoring the case for the past two days and also addressing the grief of the bereaved families. The condition of 29 out of 80 victims is said to be critical and they are being treated in ICU and on ventilator support.
The local authorities had confirmed that not only humans who consumed prasad are at life risk but some birds have also died following the same in the area.