Shakti Kapoor is celebrating his 67th birthday on 3 September and he is known for his villainous and comic roles in Hindi films. He has featured in more than 700 films throughout his career. Shakti has teamed up with Kader Khan in over 100 films.
The actor has also participated in the reality show Bigg Boss in 2011.
As the actor turns a year older, here’s looking at lesser-known facts about the most loved villain of Bollywood:
- Shakti Kapoor was born in Delhi, India to a Punjabi family. His father ran a tailor shop in Connaught Place, New Delhi.
- After a long struggle, he was spotted by Sunil Dutt whilst he was making “Rocky” to launch his son Sanjay Dutt and was cast as the antagonist in the movie.
- Sunil Dutt felt that his name “Sunil Sikanderlal Kapoor” wouldn’t do justice to his villainous stint and hence his name was changed to “Shakti Kapoor”
- In blockbuster films like ‘Kurbani’, ‘Rocky’, ‘Himmatwala’ and ‘Hero’, Shakti Kapoor played the villain, which was liked by the audience. He came to be known as the villain of Bollywood by performing his best.
- He played the role of ‘Nandu’ in Govinda’s ‘Raja Babu’ and won the hearts of all. He has done comedy in films like ‘Insaaf’, ‘Baap Nambri Beta 10 Nambri’, ‘Andaz Apna Apna’, ‘Chalbaaz’ and ‘Bol Radha Bol’.
Today, even though he is away from the film screen, his famous dialogues and roles are still appreciated and admired by many.