The skin is the prized possession of every living person on earth. It is the only organ of the human body exposed to all external environmental factors every day and it constantly takes the brunt of this damage. These factors for skin damage include the air, water, pollution, sunrays, lifestyle choices etc. As time passes, the skin starts to lose its elasticity because of loss of collagen, which also leads to the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, dark spots and dry skin.
Our skin not only protects the internal organs from the external world, but also protects the body from harmful toxins entering it.
Rather than using synthetic commercial products on the skin to get rid of the signs of aging on the skin, dermatologists worldwide have been recommending the use of Hyaluronic acid for skin boosting benefits.
What is Hyaluronic Acid (HA)?
Do not worry, it is not a scary acid that burns. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is found naturally in the body. It is also known as hyaluronan and is present in the joints and the fluids in the eyes. Hyaluronic acid’s main job is to provide lubrication to the connective tissues of our joins and skin, thus making it a very important ingredient for healthy skin.
How does Hyaluronic Acid benefit the skin?
A single drop of HA can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water! Therefore, you can imagine its numerous anti-ageing benefits. Below, we have listed some advantages of using HA:
- Applying HA on your face plumps up the skin to smooth out the fine lines and wrinkles. This gives the appearance of a smooth and supple skin.
- HA acts as a hydrator of the skin. With the use of HA, the bags under the eyes become lesser. The prime reason behind this is that HA reduces the water loss in the skin.
- The skin appears less ‘sun-damaged’, with the increase in HA concentration in the skin.
- HA helps reduce dark spots and pigmentation, when used in combination with Vitamin C serums and boosters.
- HA helps treat cold sores for lips and mouth and prevents cracking or bleeding. HA and collagen are a natural part of the structural components of the lips that provide them structure and shape. HA keeps the skin hydrated and controls inflammation.
- HA delivers lasting moisture to the skin. It acts as a humectant, which means it grabs and holds moisture so that the skin can absorb it.
- Use of HA acid smoothens out the texture of the skin. You can actually see and feel the results in few uses.
Recent studies have shown that with the regular use of Hyaluronic Acid by women of age group 45 years for 8 weeks, there was a
- 40% reduction in the appearance of wrinkles
- 96% of enhanced skin hydration
- 55% improvement in skin elasticity and firmness
How can you use Hyaluronic Acid in your skin care routine?
- Mix it with your moisturizer and use regularly
- Apply HA on damp skin
- Use it as a makeup base
- Use it as a daily serum. Leave it overnight and see the benefits of the beauty sleep in the morning.
(Dr. Debraj Shome is a reputed celebrity Facial Plastic Surgeon & is the Director of The Esthetic Clinics, which have centers in Mumbai, New Delhi, Hyderabad & Kolkata.)