National Oatmeal Muffin Day has been celebrated annually on December 19. Muffins that look like cupcakes are an all-time favorite for many of us. The muffins made with oatmeal are known for its health benefits.
Taste the delicious muffins without worrying about the calories you consume as oatmeal lowers your cholesterol. National Oatmeal Muffin Day wouldn’t get completed without filling up your mouth with one or many oatmeal muffins.
History of National Oatmeal Muffin Day:
The history, origin, and the person who established this National Oatmeal Muffin Day are unknown. The American muffin or muffin or Quick bread muffin originated in the United States during the mid-19th century.
Muffins are similar to the cupcakes both in size and in cooking methods. The muffins are often available on the morning list and are eaten as a breakfast food. When coffee served with muffins makes the best pair.
Muffins are available in both savory varieties like cornmeal and cheese muffins, or sweet varieties like blueberry, chocolate chip, lemon or banana flavors. The Oatmeal Muffins are prepared by including the oatmeal as the primary ingredient. The Oatmeal Muffins recipes began to appear in the American cookbooks in the mid-1800s.
It is made with flour, butter, eggs and any flavorings, and bicarbonate of soda as a raising agent. Then the mixture is transformed into a pocketed muffin tray, or into individual paper molds, and baked in an oven.
How to Celebrate the National Oatmeal Muffin Day:
Visit a local bakery to buy oatmeal muffins and taste it on the whole to celebrate this Day. You can learn the steps in making the oatmeal muffins and prepare it on your own in your home. Add nuts and dry fruits if necessary.
Serve your family with homemade muffins as a breakfast with a cup of coffee. Teach your children how to prepare it themselves.
Make Oatmeal Muffins at Home:
Those who want to make muffins in celebration of the day can follow the recipe below and make a batch of Oatmeal Muffins for the whole family to enjoy in the morning with some coffee and hot cocoa.
Ready to get baking? Here’s a recipe that is fun to knock out for a fresh hot treat to start the day!
- One Cup of milk
- One Cup of Quick Cooking Oats
- One Egg
- 1/4 Cup of vegetable oil
- One cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- Two teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Those who want to get creative can also stir in a little bit of spice to the mix at the end, using cinnamon or nutmeg.
Now for the instructions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease muffin cups with oil or butter, or line with paper muffin liners
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and oats; let soak for 15 minutes
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and oil; then slowly stir in the oatmeal mixture.
- In a third bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until the cups are 2/3 of the way full. Any cups in the muffin tin that remain empty should be filled with hot water so that the rest of the muffins bake evenly.
Bake in a preheated oven for twenty to twenty five minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Let the muffins rest for a few minutes and then enjoy!
Interesting facts on National Oatmeal Muffin Day:
- The American muffin is a quickbread muffin, unlike an English muffin that is baked like cupcakes. They originated during the mid19th century.
- Muffins are available in both sweet and savory varieties. The oatmeal muffin uses oatmeal as the primary ingredient.
- During the mid-1800s, Americans became crazy about healthy foods and started adding new grains like oats in their daily diet. Thus oatmeal muffins were born.
- Oatmeal Muffins are known for their health benefits. It has low calories as compared to the regular muffins and oatmeal is known to lower the cholesterol levels.
- Sweet Oatmeal muffins are generally prepared with fresh fruits like banana, blueberries, strawberries and dry fruits and nuts like raisins, currants, walnuts, etc.
- Savory Oatmeal Muffins are prepared with cheese, cinnamon, etc.
- Oatmeal Muffins taste great when served warm with hot coffee or hot cocoa as morning breakfast. It’s a filling delicious meal to start a day fresh with lots of energy!