On Friday, a special CBI court in Haryana convicted Gurmeet Ram Rahim along with three others in the murder case of journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati.
Ram Rahim, aged 52, attended the proceeding through video conferencing from Sunaria jail, Rohtak. He is currently serving a 20-year imprisonment for raping two women disciples.
Here we list a few facts about the murder case.
1. Journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati was allegedly shot in Haryana’s Sirsa by two followers of Dera on October 24, 2002.
2. The journalist succumbed to the wounds days after the attack while undergoing treatment. He died in November, 2002. In 2013, a case was registered and got transferred to CBI in 2006.
3. Chhatrapati had in an anonymous letter talked about the abuse of women by the chief of dera.
4. In 2007, a charge sheet was filled by CBI in the case. Khatta Singh, driver of Gurmeet Ram Rahim was the key witness.
5. Gurmeet Ram Rahim is already serving a 20-year jail term for raping two women.
6. Violence took place in parts of Haryana following conviction in the rape case.
7. On Friday, all four accused in the case were convicted, with sentence to be a given on January 17. The three others who have been convicted are Kuldeep Singh, Nirmal Singh and Krishan Lal.